Main competitors of the Egypt ICT market
With more than 95 million mobile subscribers, Egypt has the biggest three mobile telecom providers (Vodafone Egypt, Etisalat Misr and Orange Egypt). They are investing heavily in network expansion, quality of service improvements and new technologies.This is main competitors of the Egypt ICT market.
The National Telecom Regulatory Authority of Egypt has issued 4G LTE licences in mid-2016: this is may seem attractive for consumers, but the operators face a tightening competitive environment.
Companies and short description of the activities:
|Company||Short description of the company||
Market share, %
|Vodafone Egypt||The largest mobile phone company in Egypt in terms of active subscribers. It was launched in 1998 under its former name Click GSM. It covers various voice and data exchange services, as well as 4G, 3G, ADSL and broadband Internet services.||
|Etisalat Misr||It is a subsidiary of Etisalat U.A.E., the sole telecommunications services provider in the United Arab Emirates from 1976 until the arrival of Du (telco) in February 2007, and the first 3.5G network operator in Egypt.||
|Formerly known as Mobinil, is a mobile phone operator in Egypt, founded in 1998.||
In 2016 October Telecom companies Vodafone Egypt and Etisalat Misr have signed deals to buy fourth-generation (4G) mobile licences. This comes three days after Orange Egypt signed a $484 million worth deal to acquire the 4G licence in return of 10 megahertz of spectrum, becoming the first mobile company in Egypt to acquire the fourth generation service licence.10 Vodafone Egypt signed the agreement for $335 million, while Etisalat finalized a $535.5 million deal, according to the regulator’s statement on Sunday.
This is our fourth post from series about analysis of Egypt IT/ICT market. Stay tuned for more or subscribe to our mailing list. Here is a plan of our posts in this series:
- ICT sector in Egypt
- Market characteristics of the ICT sector in Egypt and main consumers
- ICT services and products in Egypt
- ICT services and products: supply and demand (current situation and prognosis)
- Main competitors of the ICT market (companies and short description of the activities)
- The pricing of the ICT services and products
- Main premises of the entrance to the market (legal, financial, infrastructure, cultural)
- SWOT analysis of the ICT sector in Egypt
- Doing ICT business in Egypt and start-up’s communities
- Powerpoint presentation (all topics included + more)